Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fever (Chemical Garden Trilogy #2) by Lauren DeStefano

Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)Title: Fever
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Genre: YA Dystopian
Pages: 341
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought (Amazon)


Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.


Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.



In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


My thoughts:
Okay. Wow. I absolutely loved Wither, but Fever completely went above and beyond my expectations! The story of Gabriel and Rhine picks off right where the first books leaves you, on the run from evil housemaster Vaughan. 

I was surprised because Fever was a lot more face passed in my opinion, but also was a lot more dark and brutal, if possible. I mean this was some bleak stuff, even when Rhine never lost her hope I felt depressed and sad for every character in this book, not that it was a bad experience. I think it just made the story feel more real, and that life isn't always rainbows, and sunshine. So like I said a lot more events happen Fever. We are introduced to a sketchy couple, trapped in a demented carnival, at an orphanage, and back to Rhine's home. There is no shortage of undiscovered places. I also thought Rhine really grew as a character, and we were shown not only her strong side, but her more venerable side, as every human should have one! There were just so many discovered secrets and lies, I don't know where to start! I had to keep flipping the page. 

The only slight problem I had with this book was that I felt Gabriel never lived up to his full potential, and we still don't know too much about him. It also would have been nice to see the relationship between Linden, and Cecily throughout. Otherwise an amazing second book, the cliffhanger at the end was killer, and I can't wait for the final installment! 

starstarstarstarstar


Happy Reading,
Amelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment