Monday, May 14, 2012

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales #1) by Holly Black

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
Title:Tithe
Author: Holly Black
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: October 1, 2002
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy/Faerie
Pages: 331
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Goodreads | Amazon

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces the sixteen-year-old back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death.


My thoughts:
This was the first book I had ever read about the fay, and I really enjoyed it! We follow a girl named Kaye who is independent, strong, and can handle herself. While out late one night she saves a man from near death, and is then swept up in the faerie world. This book surprisingly reads more as an adult novel, as it's very dark, and gritty. There's drinking, curse words, and drugs. If you can't handle those types of situations then I wouldn't recommend this book to you. There isn't too much romance in this novel, which is refreshing, but Robin the faerie who Kaye has her eye on reminds me a lot of prince Ash from the The Iron Fey series. Except he's a little sweeter and more understanding. I wouldn't say this is my all time favorite book by any means, but it was worth reading, and I'd like to read the companion novel, and sequel eventually. So if you are looking for a darker faerie tale with a realistic twist I'd say go for it. 

                                                                     starstarstar
Happy reading,
Amelia.


2 comments:

  1. I really loved this series! You should check out the other books in this series, I'm sure you'll love it :) Great blog! Please check out mine, I'm a new YA book blogger! http://aviddreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really hope to soon, just haven't had the time to read much of anything! I'll be checking out your blog. :)

      Delete